Monday, June 9, 2014

Hand-Lettering


More info & photo credit HERE

I made a new years resolution to better my hand-lettering skills. This has not been too hard as they are extremely weak. I love typography so therefore I feel rather like a fraud for not being somewhat versed in actually drawing type. In an effort to work on my new year's resolution, I purchased Drawing Type, an Introduction to Illustrating Letterforms by Alex Fowkes. Naturally along with the book I bought graph paper and tracing paper. It has been slow-going, but very enjoyable. I will admit that tracing all the different fonts has been incredibly enlightening. I have been able to really appreciate each letter for what it is and not just the word that the letter makes which is then is paired with something fancy or another word/font.

This book is a lot of fun with its mini exercises. It also includes an immense amount of work by incredible type artists with a little bit about their background. If you are not interested in learning the art of hand-lettering I would still highly suggest this for an aesthetically pleasing read.